I tested a variety of easily found yarns (Michaels, JoAnn, WalMart) using:
- Double-strength fruit punch
- Sesame chili oil
- Strong tea
- Red wine
Washed on permanent press cycle after letting potential stains set in. Dryer on delicate.
AVOID cotton or high-percentage cotton blends in white and other light colors.
USE variegated or ombre yarns with no white in them – even if they’re stained, you won’t be able to see it.
USE acrylic or polyester yarns for best stain resistance.
- Darker colors hide stains no matter what the material
- Multicolor (ombre, variegated, etc.) yarns also hide stains as long as the colorway does not include white; still, the darker the better.
- Cotton stains more than other materials like polyester or acrylic.
- Cotton blends stain less than pure cotton